Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Holidays! :)

Our family doesn't celebrate Christmas much- usually we just go visit our parents, exchange a gift or two (not even wrapped... I dislike shiny wrapping paper because it just creates more trash). This year, we are snowed in, so we can't visit relatives. My parents are in Iowa because my dad works there and he got snowed in. My husband's parents are still 2 hours away, so it's unlikely that we'll be able to visit them. So Christmas will be a day much like any other day, for us. Chores still need to be done, the baby still needs his attention. Maybe next year I'll find the energy to decorate the house but my guess is not. :)
Do I care? Not really. I am a bit disappointed we won't get to see relatives- Christmas is generally the only time we get to see some of them- but this year, most came out for our wedding. So I'm thankful for that. Yes, I'll miss the Christmas dinner with my parents and siblings, and yes I dislike the fact that I'll have to go out and do chores in the cold on Christmas day! But overall, I'm content to just live my life the way I've been living it, to hold my son and my husband and cuddle on the couch with a movie and some popcorn.
Here's a poem that I can definitely relate to:

'Twas the day before Christmas, and all 'round my farm

all the chillun are stirring, just trying to get warm

It's time get firewood, and haul water in

there's chores to be done, 'fore breakfast begins

eggs need to be gathered, and hogs to be slopped

the toilet needs emptied, the chores never stop

then baked bread and fresh milk, we have for the day

the kids bundle up, the horses need hay

when chores they are done, we're all pretty beat

Dad pulls out the guitar, kids sit at his feet

Ma starts up good song, we sing and we dance

small presents are given, all made by our hands

then out to the barn, where we stable our sheep

a miracle happens, a new lamb is asleep

We stand in the darkness, surrounded by love

not much do we have, but a star shines above

We hold hands and we pray, thanks for our country life

Merry Christmas to all, and a homesteader good night!

- LaMar

3 comments:

  1. We don't celebrate Christmas either. Good thing because I'm dealing with a bad cold and who wants to be laid up on a holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too. We've had to give up a few traditions this year, but what little we've managed to do has been worth a lot. :)

    We'll see you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had such a busy Christmas this year, so this post of yours has me a little jealous. Wouldn't trade that family time for ANYTHING, but I'm so dang tired this morning at work.

    ReplyDelete